ICA offers two options for visitors to learn more about the exhibitions on view. Each approach is designed to enhance the overall viewer experience, but in distinct ways.
Exhibition tours provide visitors with a comprehensive overview of our shows. Visitors gain insight into the artwork and the artist(s), in addition to information that provides a broader context for the exhibition. The tour concludes with a brief question and answer session facilitated by a Graduate Lecturer. Exhibition tours are led primarily by Penn graduate students in the History of Art Department and Weitzman School of Design. A tour is approximately 1-hour long.
To schedule an Exhibition Tour please complete this form.
Pennsight Tours are designed to create a more personal connection between the viewer and the artwork. A 1-hour Pennsight tour generally consists of three 15-minute conversations about a different work of art. Using a museum education method called Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS), Pennsight docents guide visitors through a collaborative discussion that involves viewing the artwork and sharing their personal observations with the group. The goal of these tours is for participants to establish a deeper engagement with contemporary art and their fellow viewers.
Pennsight tours are facilitated by Penn undergraduate students trained in VTS and are ideal educational experiences for instructors and their classes seeking:
- Deepening understanding of contemporary art in a supportive environment.
- Improving public speaking and active listening skills.
- Strengthening group dynamics.
- Encouraging individuals to consider possibilities that extend beyond the norm.
To schedule a Pennsight tour please complete this form.
- Tours are subject to the availability of the Graduate Lecturers and Pennsight Docents.
- Please note that we require at least 2 weeks advance notice to accommodate requests.
- Tour participants must be at least 14 years old.
- Due to the unique nature of Pennsight Tours there is a 15 person cap.
- $50 fee for a 1-hour tour (waivers are available for certain groups).
- ICA tours are free to the Penn community and The School District of Philadelphia.
Thinking of bringing your class, club, department, or alumni group to ICA? For groups over 10 people you must complete a Group Visit Form at least 48 hours in advance of your arrival. Due to gallery size and security concerns, admittance cannot be guaranteed without receiving your form 48 hours prior to your arrival.
- Please bring chaperones for visitors under the age of 18.
- We require 1 adult for every 5–7 students.
- Teachers are encouraged to preview exhibitions prior to visit.
ICA is committed to making our museum accessible to everyone. If there are unique circumstances specific to your group, please let us know how we can assist.
For general questions contact:
Elizabeth Chong, Visitor Services Coordinator